Friday, December 07, 2007

My funny valentine

The greatest danger of a blog is that you forget you’re talking to people. You write things sometimes that you wouldn't say out loud. And now I’m writing so much in so many places, it's hard to keep track.

It’s such a novelty to have all this time to myself that I’ve spent nearly all my waking hours for the past week writing, in some form or the other.

I don’t know if buying the laptop was such a good idea – I’m practically grafted to it now, the way some people are to their mobile phones. My book lies unread, my Sudoku, undone. New DVDs lie around unwatched and my cable TV is growing cold in the wires (but this is hardly new. A friend who left town left his TV behind for me, so I could finally upgrade to something that at least has a flat screen and a remote. It’s two months since he left and the TV is still lying in someone’s warehouse).

I think I may need to talk out loud to some real people. Saying “latte” to waitresses doesn't count as conversation, even if they stop to chat about the weather.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And especially since coversation about the weather in Dubai can't go on for very long. That's why I recommend video chat; it sustained me through a recent silent era when my only "real" conversations in three weeks were with supermarket check-out people, restaurant counter employees (only take-out when alone in unfamiliar places), library employees and Quixstar cultists.

Gargoyle said...

Is the word employee allowed anymore? Surely it's Customer Service Officer? You might even have been talking to the Vice President, Out-Customer Division.

Anonymous said...

Another one bites the dust. It has been months since my dear husband (Jeetu) or I turned on the TV for anything other than a Barney video for the little girl. Grafted to our Macs we remain... PM.

Blog Archive